Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Ooooooooooooooooosaka

So this weekend, we did up Osaka, we did we did. I think that the original motivation for going was to catch a venerated Japanese baseball game, which are legendary in their own right, however we were too late to secure tickets. In any event, the wheels being in motion as they were, we still thought it a worthwhile endeavour to mission to Japan's second largest city, so off and away we went.

Woke up late. Again. So missed proper breakfast at the coffee shop. Had to settle for
McDonalds at the station 'cause it was right there (For the record this was only my second mission to Mickey D's in as many weeks, and my first out of necessity). Met up with Ayden, Kathleen, and Daniel along the way, and then the rest (Michelle, Michelle, Stephanie, and Meredith) at the bus stop. Due to the way we got tickets, (Michelle) Heath had to catch a bus right after us, and the rest of us traveled boarded another bus immediately.

Three sleep-filled hours later – and passing some of the most scenic views in Japan, I think – our arrival into Osaka brought back memories of winding through Tokyo: Sprawling metropolis as far as you can see. We had to wait for Heath, so we spent the time moving about the underground around the station. It was so big that you could have walked for miles without ever having to go outside. And the food that they had display... I tell you, if the restaurants, bakeries, and coffee shops in that place could be anthropomorphized, it'd be that well-build, scantily-clad foxy that gives you "the wink" as you pass by with your significant other on your arm.

In any event, when we met up with Heath, we caved and bought several yummies for lunch and ate them in an open square while observing break dancers and speed-ridden toddlers. Next was off to the hostel, which was a mission and a half because both of our cab drivers didn't know where it was, so there were several conferences with maps and asking gas station attendants and retracing our steps before we finally arrived at the place.


It was my first hostel, and I can say that I started off right. The place was really well-maintained and impressively furnished with TVs, stereos, computers, full kitchens, patios, etc. Definitely good for our money's worth, methinks. We met the owner, (One COOL cat), and chatted him up for awhile, especially Daniel. He was a tall, dark chap from Brazil who's been here a good five, six years on a stopover and just never left. He told us about all the countries he's been (Over 60 he said), and about his upcoming tour around South America, for which he's having his car shipped over. He also has a son who was the coolest thing since sliced bread, and speaks both English and Japanese.

After setting everything down, we headed off to the bar. Keep in mind it was almost 7, and we were meeting up with some Kiwis (New Zealanders) at a New Zealander bar to watch the All Blacks do their thing. We had an awesome tour through the shopping districts of Osaka, replete with their eccentric and fantastic fashion senses, but soon found that we were quite lost after 45 minutes of meandering. We soon discovered that we had long since pasted where we needed to be, and backtracked almost to where we started to get into the bar.
Didn't especially pay attention to the game, but had a great time mingling with the Kiwis, NOVAns, and JETs. Around this time is when Jessica graced with her presence. Jessica is friend whom I've known since my first year at university. We lived in the same residence together. I was very pleas when I found out that she decided to come to Japan as well, and relished this first opportunity to meet up with one of my friends from back home.

After many hours of "catching up" (drinking), Daniel, Jessica, Ayden, and I decided to hit another bar. We did for a bit, but we were all tired, so we headed out. I walked Jessica home, and told the guys I'd be back in about 15 minutes. Big mistake. Not correctly judging distances, I returned to the bar around 3:30 to find it still open, but my friends long. Therefore, my situation as I read it then was this: Here be I, Raymond Levy, alone in one of the biggest cities in the world, at 3:45 AM my first time being here, and I now have to get back to my hostel, alone. It's worth noting that it took about 25 minutes to walk from the bar to the hostel, so the task ahead of me was rather daunting. Due to my uncanny self-contained GPS, I in fact did manage to get back without so much as a wrong turn

The next day, we just went shopping, this way and that. None too exciting to report, expect that some stores' prices in Osaka are about 50% more than home and some are about 50% less. So your eyes are popping no matter where you go. Also noteworthy is the appearance of Erica. Had to give special mention.
That night, some stayed in as they were über-tired (And I don't blame them), and some made it out. I met up with Jess again along with Daniel, Erica, and a British dude named Leslie (I think) at a reggae bar. They had something called Jamaican beer, which I thought was Red Stripe, though the server never heard of Red Stripe. Turned out to be a weird kind of mix between beer and pop. Jess and I hightailed it outta there in favour of Triangle Park. Triangle Park is this small park area that conveniently has a convenience store right beside it. The idea is to buy drinks there for 200 (about $2 CDN) apiece and drink them in the park. As the park is often comprised primarily of foreigners, it's just like being at a bar on the patio. Just without tipping a server. And without bathrooms. And with homeless people intermingled. We met up with Ayden and a few of his mates here and had a few rounds. Then it was decided that Jessica and I would join her NOVA friends in doing up a club.

First club was deserted, so then we tried a second.
...

...
...
I can't exactly describe the mayhem of the inside of this place. Like the Matrix, you've got to see it for yourself. All I'll say is that the closest I can describe of the dance floor was a mosh pit. Bear in mind that R&B and hip hop and all the club anthems were playing. And everyone's looking at me as though I should instinctively know what to do with this sort of music, however I couldn't stand in one spot without being shoved in the mosh, let alone try to dance. Declaring it anarchy, I wasn't on there more than two minutes before I ran for the hills. Worst part is that we had to try to get back on there to tell her friends that we were leaving, and it was almost as bad as the first time. Thankfully she didn't get swallowed up in the madness, which happened to her friends when I first when on the floor with them. We got on together and the next I saw of them was a good hour later.

I walked Jess home around the same time as the previous night, and had to do the same trek home again at almost the same time. Only difference is that I got wise, wrote down the password for the lobby door, and had Ayden leave me a key in Daniel's shoe. So all was well in getting home.

Next day we were leaving in the PM, but decided to hit up Osaka castle early on. What's to say other than we went, we say, we took photos, we bought gifts. Such is the tourist destination.
Catching the bus later on was super, super sweet because we all hit the wall as soon as our butts were down, and home sweet inaka we went.

2 comments:

Furious said...

Jamaican beer, eh? What's it with Japan and pseudo-reggae/Caribbean culture? <__< That reminds me, this girl from Kansai (actually, "Neyagawa"-- Oakville's sister city!) told me about some drink that's a mix of green tea and beer?

Unknown said...

You've since heard that Kurayoshi is the Jamaican destination, right? The Red Stripe and jerk chicken are but a walk from where I live.