Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"Do you agree with the idea that housework is for women?": A Student's Perspective

In my second year writing class, the students are doing a unit on housework with overtones of gender roles. They had a short assignment in which they had to evaluate the question, "Do you agree with the idea that housework is for women?", and respond with their own opinion. The following is one student's response that caused me to laugh for quite the while because I was picturing his situation in my mind. The spelling has been corrected for sake of legibility, but the grammar and word order are exactly as they appear on his paper.

I disagree with the idea. Because now, many Japanese women is working. My father very tired when finish father's works. But, my mother too. My mother and my father many mouth battle. But, they start the home work as soon as finish mouth battle. For example, my mother is wash the dish and clears the table. My father is smoking and eat a ice cream. My mother say "Hey you! You wash the your sox for yourself!" My father say "Yes, yes."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish I had more chances to give the students free thinking exercises. This is the one time when you can truly say being a JET is FUN!!