Wednesday, November 5, 2008

How My Students would decide the US Presidental Election

Hats off to one of my JTEs. Truly. This woman is like God in Japanese, English-speaking, teaching form. Senator Obama been declared President-elect not one hour prior, and yet she had already designed a worksheet and lesson on the fly for her next class. Upon completion, she asked me to accompany her as we had been talking about it all day up to this point and she wanted me to explain to the students what the election meant for America, Canada, and indeed, the world. I happily obliged, but not before donning my Obama campaign button that had been oh so kindly given to me many months before by one Heath.

And so apporximately one hour after the 270th vote had been posted, I found myself in front of a classroom of high school students and explaining to them how the American election system worked (A shock to me, more than anyone. I can barely explain how the Canadian one works). The highlight of the lesson came during the explanation of how the voting worked and the states having electoral votes. One student asked, "So what happens if the two candidates are tied?"

A girl immediately replied, "Janken?"

...

Arguably, the literal fate of the world being decided by a round of janken.

...

After recovering from my spout of laughter, a thought entered my head: "Would playing janken to decide global socio-economic politics really be that bad?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We just had our Cdn election and someone sent me this story???

The Election results were really close between Harper and Dion. To decide the outcome, a panel of judges thought the contest could be decided by a weekend of ice fishing. The fist day of the contest, Harper came back with 3 fishes. Dion had none....bad luck I guess...
The second day, harper came back with 10 fishes.........Dion again had none.
A bit concerned, Dion swears that Harper is cheating and, so he asks Layton to spy on Harper and tell him how Harper is cheating.
On the final day of the contest, Harper brings back 25 fishes, Dion, a bit red faced still had none. He looks at Layton and says well, tell everyone how this guy cheats. Layton looks at Dion and says................he digs a hole in the ice.

As you see from this story, the rules for your contest must be clear. To a lawyer, and, most politician are lawyers, interpretation is everything...so to solve the world's socio economic issue by a simple game.great idea but............it scares me with these guys!!!!

Carl